The goal of our train the trainer (TtT) activities is to help transform scientists based in our target countries into effective and confident trainers. These individuals will fuel the delivery of an extensive training programme throughout Latin America. Our workshop programme is providing opportunities for CABANA’s new trainers to deliver training.
We have adapted the EMBL-EBI train-the-trainer programme to reach a pan-Latin American audience. Selected researchers from Latin America, some of whom may also be visiting EMBL-EBI on secondment, can participate in an intense two-week programme in which they learn how to design and deliver excellent bioinformatics training, and how to monitor its impact going forward. They have the opportunity to make use of their learning by participating as trainers or demonstrators in an EMBL-EBI training course on one of CABANA’s three challenge topics. On returning to Latin America, they are encouraged to participate as trainers in CABANA’s workshop programme, with the goal of contributing to sustainable training programmes in their own institutes and across CABANA’s budding network of bioinformatics training centres.
- A small group of scientists visit EMBL-EBI for two weeks to receive tailor-made training on how to develop and deliver a successful bioinformatics training
- Part of this time is spent developing training activities, which our visitors then immediately use by participating as trainers in an EMBL-EBI course on one of our challenge topics
- This enables participants to expand their network in the UK because we will involve bioinformatics experts from other UK-based organisations
- These activities lay the foundation for our partner institutions to develop a collaborative network of bioinformatics training centres in the region.
Additional information for courses hosted at EMBL-EBI
CABANA Travel Fellowships & Course Fee Bursary: The CABANA project has made available funds to provide 10 successful applicants from Latin American countries (excluding Chile and Uruguay) with a bursary to cover 100% of the course fee and up to £1125 towards travel costs. If you fulfill the selection criteria and wish to apply for a CABANA Travel Fellowship or Course Fee Bursary please complete this form in addition to your application.
CABANA Train the Trainer: CABANA TtT workshops run the week before the Biodiversity, Plants and Communicable diseases courses. This course is aimed at researchers from Latin Americans interested in developing their bioinformatics training skills with the intention of running their own courses in the future. Applicants should have a background in biodiversity or bioinformatics research. All TtT participants will be awarded travel fellowships covering travel to and from Hinxton, will have their accommodation and catering taken care of during their stay and will benefit from a bursary to cover the course fee.
Understanding Biodiversity Through Bioinformatics Based Approaches (EMBL-EBI, Hinxton, 18-22 May 2020):
- If you are interested in attending the Biodiversity TtT course taking place 11-15 May 2020, you can follow the link for more information and the registration form.
- If you are interesting in applying for a fellowship to attend this course, you can follow the link to apply.